Released a new version (1.0.2) with cosmetic fixes for text / icon sizing. No real features yet, wanted to get it back into the market.
Exactly one year has passed since I release the last version of this android application and I’ve temporarily removed Torrent Funnel from the market to make some necessary changes to it. You can still access the current version (1.0.1) from here: http://android.tonoli.co.za/TorrentFunnel-1.0.1.apk
I’m looking at doing the following changes:
- Sizing the fonts correctly.
- Changing the way the background scheduler works to not be continuously loaded in memory but rather triggered as necessary.
- Changes to icons to correctly size for different phone types.
- … more?
I’m currently busy with another project though (http://inboxspy.ricktonoli.com) and until that is released this project will be on the back burner. Feel free to recommend any other changes you think would be nice.
Changes in this release:
- Fixed bug in various locales where adding feeds caused crash – please note that this fix will do a once off reset of all existing feeds next schedule times to run immediately. This is in order to reset the dates and store them correctly.
- Changed the “next run time” in feed display to display a countdown instead of actual next run time.
- Introduced a change log display on startup (and in options menu).
Available here: http://android.tonoli.co.za/TorrentFunnel-1.0.1.apk and on the Market (or via the QR Code to the right)
Please log any issues/requests against this post
If you’re getting errors when adding Feeds it’s due to the locale you’re in (specifically date formatting in your locale). I’ve identified the problem and am working on a solution. In the meantime, however, someone has come up with this workaround, which you can use for now (see original comment here):
“Adding RSS problem fix: Just change too US keyboard and you can add feeds then change it back once you’re done.”
I will post a proper release with fix as soon as I’m happy I haven’t introduced more issues.
UPDATE: I think I fixed the problem and the app seems to behave in various locales now, going to stress test it for a while and, if everything works fine, will release it. If anyone would like to try the release, get it here: http://android.tonoli.co.za/build/TorrentFunnel-1.0.1.apk, would appreciate feedback of any problems before I push it to the market.
Please note this release will reset all your existing feeds next run time to the current time on the first run of the service, after that it should work fine.
The following changes were made:
- Added a “night mode” option, if you activate this it will disable all sounds starting at the “start” hour and ending at the “end” hour you select. The 3am alerts were getting a bit annoying.
- Fixed a possible bug when updating the Feeds next run time.
Available here: http://android.tonoli.co.za/TorrentFunnel-0.0.22.apk and on the market.
Once again, log errors here or email directly from application, also, would appreciate it if you would rate it.
Based on feedback and some ideas I’ve made the following changes:
- Added option to turn off the notification icon indicating that the service is running (the green icon). If selected an icon will only appear if there is a match (or error, if that option is enabled).
- Added option to select separate sounds for errors / matches.
- Fixed a bug where “Start/Stop” service option on main screen wasn’t setting itself to the correct state if you were not connected.
- General code cleanup and refactoring
- Updated the Disclaimer (made it a more appropriate EULA). You will need to re-accept this if you’ve installed the application previously.
Once again, available on the market and here: http://android.tonoli.co.za/TorrentFunnel-0.0.21.apk
Log any issues as comments please.
This will probably be the last set of changes I make in a while, the application is working pretty well for me and doing the job I intended so I’ll be devoting more time to my next project… I will, however, revisit this application if suggestions come in or bugs are found (or if it really becomes popular and the demand picks up for more features)
Anyway, these are the minor tweaks I made:
1. Cleaned up preferences screens.
2. Added option to select custom sound for notifications.
As usual it’s is available for download here: http://android.tonoli.co.za/TorrentFunnel-0.0.20.apk and from the Android Market.
Made some more changes and released what I think is a far more stable version
I’m getting strange behavior using the application so I’ve pulled it from the Android Market for now, you can still get it here but be warned it does not behave as should, time to do some more testing and iron out these issues:
- Seems I introduced a bug, you couldn’t load new feeds. It’s fixed in this release.
Available here (or on the Android Market):
I guess writing code without test cases is bad practice, bad developer!